We need new infrastructure. Roads, airports, schools, hospitals and housing: the list is enormous and growing. Yet severely limited budgets, economic uncertainty caused by volatile commodity prices, and deficits continue to prevent government at all levels from delivering the kinds of structural change that has always been needed.
In response, some countries have developed relatively successful PPP programmes – similar in many ways yet with specific national characteristics. Challenges remain throughout each region and are intensifying in the current environment. Merely grasping the concepts of PPP does not do justice to our great responsibility of having an ownership in the country’s future. We already know what we need to do, now is the time to really discover HOW.
This master class aims to do just that. Beginning with an in-depth understanding of how PPPs work, from financial, commercial, project & legal aspects, we seek to push our participants to innovate with real life case studies, group discussions and technical evaluation.
- Understanding PPPs: definition, rationale & structuring requirements
- Identifying & selecting appropriate projects for PPPs & managing PPP feasibility studies: methodologies & techniques
- PPP financial models & techniques for ensuring PPP financial bankability & affordability
- Managing & overseeing PPP procurements & transaction advisors: tendering documentation & reaching transaction closure
- PPP stakeholder management & PPP contract management techniques: models for ESG impact analysis & mitigation, PPP economic regulation, contract management, and dispute resolution
Benefits of Attending
- Use best practices from international case studies of successful PPP transactions and common practical pitfalls to avoid
- Design and manage PPP legal, regulatory & institutional frameworks to attract investors and complete PPP transactions
- Apply models for the efficient design and completion of PPP feasibility studies
- Understand project financing requirements and evaluate PPP financial models for both affordability and bankability
- Evaluate and apply different credit enhancement techniques to ensure PPP bankability, including blended financing, viability gap funding (VGF), partial guarantees, risk insurance products, output-based aid (OBA) and other financial instruments
- Design PPP transaction implementation plans and manage & oversee PPP transaction advisors for reaching commercial closure and financial closure
- Models for PPP tender documents, including PPP Project Information Memoranda (“InfoMemos”), Requests for Qualifications (RFQs), Requests for Proposals (RFPs)
- International models for designing and drafting PPP contracts & agreements
- Environmental & social impact mitigation techniques to structure sustainable private investments in public infrastructure
- Plans for managing sustainable PPP contracts including ensuring technical performance, quality of service delivery, price review & adjustment regulatory models, legal contract management and alternative dispute resolution (ADR) techniques
“The course covers a very large spectrum of PPP & Concessions with very good examples. I appreciate
a lot the dynamic of the course.” – INEO Rail, France
“The course was delivered in a very professional way, with excellent clarity and very good & relevant examples of past and ongoing PPP projects. The overall course delivery was excellent. The facilitator was very knowledgeable on the subject matter, very responsive to questions and innovative in the delivery of the PPP training program. The knowledge gained will assist me in productive participation in ongoing and planned PPP Projects in my country.” – Electricity Generation Company (Malawi) Ltd
“Excellent course for anyone involved in PPP. Highly recommended. Excellent course director!” – PNG Ports Corporation
“Thank you for the excellent course delivery methodology. The content was superb.” – Credit Bank
This workshop features rigorous new interactive methodology that require attendees to demonstrate their understanding with each day’s practical techniques and learning outcomes. Regularly throughout each day, you will be required to complete either focused review questions for selecting among a range of PPP decisions, or group exercise assignments. You should be prepared to actively participate, and not merely to “watch & listen” presentations.
Case studies of PPP transactions will feature the real-world details of PPP feasibility studies, tender documents, impact assessments, and PPP agreements to provide first-hand understanding of the challenges of PPP transactions. Experiential exercises will place you into the practical roles of key management decision-makers who not only need to analyze and understand PPP investment proposals, but who have to make real-world decisions on transactions. As a result of actively engaging in this program’s interactive methodology, you will be able to make practical decisions on PPP strategies, projects, and transactions for your organizations following the workshop’s completion.